|Growth in high viscosity drugs is being driven by advances in biotechnology and host-vector engineering – advances that have led to a steady stream of biologics for a number of ailments and conditions. These powerful drugs come with a high cost-per-dose and the risk of significant side effects – factors that place an elevated emphasis on administration efficiency, safety and reliability. Many drugs in this class are characterized by physical properties and sensitivities that challenge the drug commercialization ecosystem. For example, monoclonal antibodies, perhaps the most significant category in terms of therapeutic and commercial importance, typically possess viscosities that are well above the normal limits of subcutaneous injection devices and techniques. Without a technical solution, these high viscosity drugs are formulated and supplied for infusion, a trend that threatens to put additional pressure on patient logistics and healthcare economics. Drug developers and device designers are increasingly working in collaboration to insure the commercial success of handheld devices for high viscosity injectables.|
Injection Devices for High Viscosity Drugs Report Brochure (Download PDF)
Injection Devices for High Viscosity Drugs Report Order Form (Download PDF)
Handheld Devices for High Viscosity Injectables – What You Will Learn
• What are the markets for therapeutic drugs with viscosities that cannot be delivered using standard self-injection devices and techniques?
• What are the technologies and devices that are aimed at positioning high viscosity drugs for subcutaneous injection?
• What are the design factors, material selection issues, formulation factors, and device capabilities and limitations of handheld devices that address the limitations of high viscosity drugs?
• Who are the high viscosity injectable drug and device participants, their product development activities, business strategies, and corporate alliances and affiliations?
• What are the key therapeutic sectors for high viscosity injectables?
• What does the market for high viscosity injectables look like today? What will it be in 2020?
• What is the impact of economic, technology, and regulatory factors on high viscosity drugs that can be administered via handheld devices?
Handheld Devices for High Viscosity Injectables – Summary of Contents
The Market Opportunity
High Viscosity Drug Market Dynamics
The Economics of Drug Delivery
Growth of Biological Drugs
Demographics and Disease Prevalence
Innovation in Handheld Devices
Managed Care and Healthcare Economics
High Viscosity Injection Devices – Design Factors
Drug Storage Requirements
Baseline Device Capabilities
High Viscosity Drugs – Addressable Markets
Legacy Drugs – IV-to-Subcutaneous Migration
Drugs Currently Approved for Infusion
Formulation-related High Viscosity
Sustained Release Injectables
Analysis of High Viscosity-Capable Handheld Devices
Specialty Glass Syringes
Cyclic Olefin Prefillable Syringes
Near-term Therapeutic Sector Analysis
Forecasts and Prospects
Quality by Design
Ease of Use